Ground Rules for a Successful Free University
- One Person speaks at a time and identifies the issues that are important for him or her to discuss
- Listen respectfully and sincerely to what others say about the situation for the purposes of gaining clarity and understanding only.
- If you have something you feel you must say, make a note and wait your turn.
- PLEASE DON’T INTERRUPT. Each person has a right to be heard completely. You will get your turn.
- Work hard to understand what the other person is saying even if you need to take notes.
- We will not blame, attack, or engage in put-downs and will ask questions of each other
- We recognize that even if we do not agree with it, each of us is entitled to our own perspective.
- We will not dwell on things that did not work in the past, but instead will focus on the future we would like to create.
- We will make a conscious, sincere effort to refrain from unproductive arguing, venting, or narration
- Follow the instructions of the facilitator
- Be aware of time limits